JOIN OUR TEAM
We are looking for highly-qualified, committed individuals who want to invest their talent and time in a mission that matters, joining a diverse, high-performing team in an entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible work environment.
Current position openings:
Tacoma Completes Director
Position: Tacoma Completes Director
Status: Full-time, exempt, with full benefits
Location: Tacoma, WA
Apply by: April 18, 2019
Expected start date: May 13, 2019
To college and back. Together. Degrees of Change (DoC) is a not-for-profit organization that prepares diverse, homegrown leaders to succeed in college and use their degrees to build more vibrant and equitable communities. We partner with community organizations, high schools, colleges and employers to provide cohort-based leadership training, college success support, career development and alumni programming to underrepresented students who desire to lead and serve their home communities. As both a national backbone organization and local, direct service provider in Tacoma-Seattle, we provide and utilize research-based programming, cutting-edge evaluation and data tools, and innovative operational systems and technical assistance to support all aspects of our integrated programs. Learn more at degreesofchange.org.
Tacoma Completes is an effort to create a comprehensive, coordinated, community-wide system of supports for all Tacoma Public School (TPS) college-goers that will improve overall degree completion rates while closing historic gaps across racial and economic groups. Tacoma Completes seeks to engage and align the efforts of a wide range of critical partners from higher education, community-based organizations, TPS, local government and the private sector, with purposeful attention to adjacent sectors that impact the experience of college students including housing, transportation and workforce development. The effort places particular emphasis on the two local institutions where the largest number of TPS graduates attend: Tacoma Community College (TCC) and University of Washington Tacoma (UWT). Tacoma Completes is led by Degrees of Change in close collaboration with the Foundation for Tacoma Students (FFTS) as part of the greater Graduate Tacoma collective impact effort.
A natural collaborator and agent of change, the Tacoma Completes Director will lead the collaborative design, planning and implementation of the Tacoma Completes initiative in close partnership with Graduate Tacoma staff and key community partners.
Skilled in facilitating across systems, the Tacoma Completes Director will bring together a wide range of community partners to design, create and pilot projects that shift current practices to increase rates of college persistence and degree attainment for graduates of Tacoma Public Schools.
A team player with a deep commitment to social justice and racial equity, the Tacoma Completes Director will serve on the senior leadership team at Degrees of Change to help inform and shape the organization’s engagement and strategy in the local Tacoma community.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
FACILITATION OF CROSS-SYSTEM COLLABORATION
- Engage a wide range of community partners to understand environmental scan results and codesign effective cross-system projects.
- Draft MOUs, action plans and collective goals.
- Convene and facilitate productive meetings to maintain momentum towards goals.
- Communicate regularly with a variety of partners and stakeholders to understand their perspectives and provide them opportunities for engagement.
- Collaborate closely with DoC Research and Evaluation team and FFTS data team to ensure that relevant data is collected, analyzed and reported to support the initiative and inform project design, implementation and ongoing improvements.
PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT FOR INNOVATION
- Through individual and group engagement, develop and maintain a spirit of committed, respectful partnership and energetic experimentation with new approaches to achieve the initiative’s outcomes.
- Represent Tacoma Completes within public community and internal Degrees of Change convenings.
- Collaborate with DoC Senior Management team to inform and shape the organization’s engagement and strategy in the local Tacoma community.
- Collaborate with DoC Local Management Team to maximize alignment of local Tacoma programs (Act Six, Ready to Rise, Seed Internships) with Tacoma Completes.
- Serve on the DoC Senior Management team, supporting the President in shaping organizational strategy and informing important organizational decisions.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of Degrees of Change.
- Familiarity with Tacoma area and its array of services (especially housing, transportation and workforce development) to support underrepresented college students
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Collaborative spirit and eagerness to embrace design thinking and lean startup methodologies.
- Experience in design and implementation of innovative educational, leadership or social programs.
- Experience working within or in partnership with post-secondary institutions helpful.
- Demonstrated success in management of multifaceted, collaborative projects.
- Highly effective group facilitator.
- Track record of establishing buy-in and influencing diverse groups to achieve ambitious outcomes.
- Strong relational, interpersonal, and intercultural communication skills.
- Deep commitment to educational, racial and economic equity.
- Effective communicator with strong presentation and writing skills.
- Experience in program development and supervision
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, flexible and receptive to constructive feedback.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS, ACCOUNTABILITY & COMPENSATION
- Full-time, exempt, salaried position.
- Reports to President.
- Starting annual salary range of $80,000 - $85,000.
- Comprehensive benefits including:
- 4% matching contribution to 401(k) retirement plan;
- Regence PPO Platinum + health plan, premiums paid 100% for employee, 50% for dependents;
- Delta Dental + VSP Signature Vision, premiums paid 100% for employee, 50% for dependents;
- Short- and long-term disability insurance, no cost to employee;
- $50,000 life insurance, no cost to employee; and
- $25/mo cell phone stipend.
- Free parking ($125/mo)
- Generous paid vacation, personal, sick and family leave.
APPLICATION & TIMELINE
- Apply online at indeed.com by April 18.
- Initial interviews are planned for April 22-25.
- Anticipated start date is May 13.