Degrees Of Change
Believe In Our Mission?
Join the Team
Degrees of Change attracts exceptional individuals–people who aren’t just looking for a job, but are looking to make a difference. Our team is made up of courageous individuals who are passionate about transformation that impacts not just individual students, but whole communities. If you’re looking to invest your time and talent in a mission that matters, we’d love to talk to you.
We Take Care of Our Team
- Competitive compensation
- Generous matching contribution to 401(k) retirement plan
- Exceptional medical, dental, and vision plans fully paid for employee
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurance at no cost to employee
- Generous paid holidays, vacation, personal, sick, and family leave
Status: Full-time, exempt, with full benefits
Reports to: Senior Director, Development
Location: Fully Remote or Hybrid; Tacoma, WA
A gifted writer and storyteller, the Communications Director is responsible for building awareness of Degrees of Change and ensuring that our messaging aligns with our organizational mission, vision, values, and brand. A self-starting, strategic thinker, and project planner, they will be primarily responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating an annual, organization-wide communications plan, with an emphasis on fundraising. They will also help inform the development of a communications plan for program participant and employer recruitment to drive organizational growth and sustainability.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Development, they work closely with the Development, Operations, and Program teams.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic leadership for and lead the execution of DoC’s organization-wide communications strategy.
- Develop and maintain communications policies and procedures which reflect ethical fundraising practices that align with the mission, values and brand of DoC.
- Serve on the DoC Director’s Team, supporting the Executive Team in shaping organizational strategy and informing important organizational decisions.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual communications plan for fundraising in close collaboration with the Senior Director, Development.
- Lead the generation of social media, email, print and website content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate.
- Work with IT and Operations teams to evaluate, implement and manage software tools for effective communications management.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- In collaboration with the Donor Engagement Manager, manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral, including but not limited to annual fundraising campaigns, annual reports, and the Degrees of Change website.
- In collaboration with the Operations Team, coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (e.g., article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly.
- Track and measure level of engagement within the network over time.
- Manage all media contacts and opportunities.
- Inform the development of a communications plan for program participant and employer recruitment in close collaboration with the Operations Team.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of Degrees of Change.
- Deep commitment to educational, racial, and economic equity.
- Exceptional writing and storytelling skills.
- Experience or aptitude for designing and implementing communications plans from the ground up.
- Strong project management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated success in the design and implementation of communications plans from the ground up.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and eagerness to embrace lean startup methodologies and innovative technologies.
- Demonstrated success in management of multifaceted, collaborative projects.
- Track record of establishing buy-in and influencing diverse groups to set and achieve ambitious goals.
- Strong relational, interpersonal, and intercultural communication skills.
- Highly effective public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to generate content ideas across a broad range of content types and channels.
- Ability to interpret concepts, follow trends, and contribute new ideas to create buzz.
- Effective communicator with very strong presentation and writing skills.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, flexible, and receptive to constructive feedback.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Familiar with Adobe Creative Cloud services such as Illustrator + InDesign, social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram), WordPress, Search Engine Optimization, and email marketing software (e.g., Microsoft Dynamics Marketing).
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Marketing, Journalism, English, or a related field.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS, ACCOUNTABILITY & COMPENSATION
- Full-time, exempt, salaried position.
- Reports to Senior Director, Development + Finance.
- Starting annual salary range of $70,000 – $80,000.
- Comprehensive benefits including:
- 4% matching contribution to 401(k) retirement plan;
- Regence PPO Platinum + health plan, premiums paid 100% for employee, 50% for dependents;
- Delta Dental + VSP Signature Vision, premiums paid 100% for employee, 50% for dependents;
- Short- and long-term disability insurance, no cost to employee;
- $50,000 life insurance, no cost to employee; and
- Free parking ($125/mo)
- Paid vacation, personal, sick and family leave.
APPLICATION & TIMELINE
- Apply online at indeed.com with Cover Letter and Resume by July 28.