JOIN OUR TEAM
We are looking for highly-qualified, committed individuals who want to invest their talent and time in a mission that matters, joining a diverse, high-performing team in an entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible work environment.
Current AmeriCorps Member position opening:
First Year Program Support
Position: First Year Program Support
Location: Tacoma, WA
Priority Deadline: June 29 (open until filled)
Start Date: September 17, 2018
Degrees of Change mission is to prepare diverse, homegrown leaders to succeed in college and use their degrees to build more vibrant and equitable communities. We fulfill this mission by creating college transition and completion programs that send under-represented students to college together in community, provide them with training and support to develop their leadership skills and mentorship to support their transition to and graduation from college.
Degrees of Change AmeriCorps project is to provide intensive support to the recruitment, selection and training phase of Act Six and Ready to Rise programs, supporting high school seniors to be college ready and transition to college successfully, while developing leadership skills and building a strong, supportive peer community. In this way, the AmeriCorps project is central to beginning of our journey with students to and through college. It is during this first year that our program participants, we call them scholars, build life changing relationships with their peers who will walk with them throughout their college journey and beyond, it is where they will receive leadership development, identity and cross cultural communication trainings that they will rely upon in both the most meaningful and most challenging moments in college and beyond that will help them persevere and persist towards their goal of a bachelor’s degree and living a life of impact.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Schedule and conduct recruitment visits at local high schools and community events around the urban Puget Sound region
- Attend all Act Six and Ready to Rise staff retreats and meetings
- Recruit and support volunteers to participate in the recruitment, selection and training program phases
- Track potential applicants utilizing the scholar database
- Follow-up with recruits via phone and emails
- Support the selection phase for Act Six and Ready to Rise
- Assist in planning college preparedness training for new scholars
- Schedule and conduct recruitment visits for the following year
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- An understanding and belief in the Degrees of Change mission, the importance of developing home-grown leaders and the opportunity a college education provides in that leadership development.
- A basic understanding of and desire for personal growth in the areas of equity, intercultural communication, and justice.
- Understanding of the college application process and the challenges that accompany students, especially first-generation students, in their transition to college.
- Ability to work with diverse students and their families, as well as individual, community, and school partners.
- Ability to navigate the Microsoft suite of products including Word, Excel, OneNote, SharePoint, etc.
- Ability to be proactive and independent worker.
- Ability to take on projects and lead them to completion.
- Ability to ask questions and problem solve.
The First Year Program Support will be part of a dynamic team supporting Tacoma-Seattle emerging leaders to flourish as college students and community leaders. This position is connected with a powerful network of community members in college access and persistence. Being a part of this team, the First Year Program Support will learn from an organization that has sector-leading technology and data systems that inform student engagement.
SERVICE TERMS, ACCOUNTABILITY & COMPENSATION
Full time, 40 hours per week.
Term of Service: September 16, 2018 – July 31, 2019
$1,307 monthly stipend, basic health insurance, $5,920 education award, assistance with childcare costs (if necessary), forbearance (temporary postponing of loan payments) of qualified student loans during service, payment of interest on qualified student loans that accrued during the service term, workers compensation coverage, service qualifies as ‘employment’ towards the public service loan forgiveness program. More information here.
Reports to Act Six and Ready to Rise Site Directors.
APPLICATION & TIMELINE
Please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Priority Deadline: June 29
Initial Interviews: July 2
Start Date: September 17
Position is open until filled.