JOIN OUR TEAM
We are looking for highly-qualified, committed individuals who want to invest their talent and time in a mission that matters, joining a diverse, high-performing team in an entrepreneurial, collaborative and flexible work environment.
Current AmeriCorps Member position opening:
First Year Program Support, Ready to Rise + Act Six, Tacoma-Seattle
Position: First Year Program Support
Location: Tacoma, WA
Priority Deadline: October 6 (open until filled)
Start Date: October 16
Degrees of Change (DoC), located in Tacoma, exists to support communities and colleges to equip students to learn together through college and lead together back home. Degrees of Change supports nine communities in the Northwest and Midwest United States to implement DoC’s two core college transition, college completion and leadership development programs Act Six and Ready to Rise as the National Office. In addition, DoC serves as the local implementer of Act Six and Ready to Rise in Tacoma and Seattle.
The First Year Program Support is an AmeriCorps Member position who will serve a ten-and-a-half-month term of service at Degrees of Change through Washington Service Corps. In this role the AmeriCorps Member will provide specific support to Act Six and Ready to Rise Tacoma-Seattle’s recruitment, selection and training of new program Scholars.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Schedule and conduct recruitment visits at local high schools and community events around the urban Puget Sound region.
- Attend all Act Six and Ready to Rise staff retreats and meetings.
- Track potential applicants utilizing the scholar database.
- Follow-up with recruits via phone and emails.
- Participate in local selection committee reading and scoring applications and attending selection meetings.
- Assist in planning and executing large group interview phase of selection.
- Assist in coordinating the selection campus visits with colleges.
- Assist in planning and facilitating weekly college preparedness training for new scholars.
- Schedule and conduct recruitment visits for the following year.
- Participate in the recruitment and support of volunteers who will further the goals of the AmeriCorps project.
- Oversee the volunteer activities of the AmeriCorps project to ensure that the activities are allowable and not prohibited.
- Implement at least three new effective volunteer management practices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Member must possess a minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
- An understanding and belief in the Degrees of Change mission, the importance of developing home-grown leaders and the opportunity a college education provides in that leadership development.
- A basic understanding of and desire for personal growth in the areas of equity, intercultural communication, and justice.
- Understanding of the college application process and the challenges that accompany students, especially first-generation students, in their transition to college.
- Ability to work with diverse students and their families, as well as individual, community, and school partners.
- Ability to navigate the Microsoft suite of products including Word, Excel, OneNote, SharePoint, etc.
- Ability to be proactive and independent worker.
- Ability to take on projects and lead them to completion.
- Ability to ask questions and problem solve.
The First Year Program Support AmeriCorps member will be part of a dynamic team supporting Tacoma and Seattle emerging leaders to flourish as college students and community leaders. This position is connected with a powerful network of community members in college access and persistence. Being a part of this team, the First Year Program Support member will learn from an organization that has sector-leading technology and data systems that inform student engagement.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS, ACCOUNTABILITY & COMPENSATION
Full time, 40 – 42 hours per week.
Term of Service: October 16, 2017 – August 15, 2018
$1,200 monthly stipend, basic health insurance, $5,800 education award, benefits on student loans (no payment during term of service, plus payment of interest on subsidized loans)
Reports to Act Six Site Director.
APPLICATION & TIMELINE
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Priority Deadline: October 6
Initial Interviews: October 6 and 9
Start Date: October 16
Position is open until filled.